Thursday, October 7, 2010

Delight in Disorder

In the poem "Delight in Disorder", I feel that maybe I am within the cone of meaning of the poem, but also, I may be way outside, but I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. Throughout the poem, the speaker seems to be describing all the clothing a woman is wearing and seems to have just thrown on. He describes clothes such as her scarf, "tempestuous petticoat", dress, and more. But when I get to the line which says, "A fine distraction", I am under the impression that the speaker is saying that under all this disorderly, but delightful, clothing, there is completely different person. The speaker is saying that this person is just trying to cover up who they really are by putting all this clothing on them to appear different. Many appear try to act like someone who they are not, and the author is describing this kind of person in the poem. They may want to appear wealthy, beautiful, etc. But in reality, they are none of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment