Thursday, October 7, 2010

General Overview

As the poem "Elegy for my Father, Who Is Not Dead" continues, I forgot the name of the title of the poem and as I read through it, I was pictured the father as being dead. But the first two lines of the poem represent how the poem is a foreshadowing. Moreover, the speaker desciribes how his father is ready for death, but how he, himself is not. I believe that this is only due to the person's age. I think that the speaker would be pretty old because usually it's old people who believe they have done everything they can in life and now they are ready for death. But the speaker says specifically, "He's ready. I am not." This is mostly due to age and the speaker is simply believes that he is too young to die and follow his father into heaven. However, one thing I am not certain about is if the speaker's father wants him to follow the father into heaven right after he as died, or if he is going to paitiently wait for the speaker to die so they can be reunited in heaven. In my opinion, the second one seems like the right one.

1 comment: