Thursday, August 12, 2010

Afraid of the Dark

Little kids are always somewhat scared of the dark. I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old, I would have to move a coat hanger I had in my room to the hallway becuase I thought its shadows looked scary. However, the common idea is that as you age and become an adult, the dark is no longer a problem. Adults do not get scared in the dark. O' Brien finds this statement to be false and I find it very interesting. "Because the darkness squeezes you inside yourself, you get cut off from the outside world, the imagination takes over." If a soldier is alone in Vietnam in the dark keeping watch, he's not going to be able to see very much. Because of this, his mind, or imagination, is going to start making the soldier think some weird things becuase there is nothing else to imagine. I just thought I'd comment on this part of the story becuase when your in a jungle, by yourself, in the pitch dark, you become a kid again.

1 comment: