Thursday, August 12, 2010

Overall- final blog

The things they carried was a very good read for me. I mean I was able to read it in two days. The stories were interesting, full of depth, and O' Brien was really able to get me to feel some version of what he felt in his stories. When comparing The Sun Also Rises to The Things They Carried, the Things They Carried was far superior. It had so much more that the reader could take from it and put into their everyday life. In The Sun Also Rises, there seemed to be no point or plot or moral that I could take from it and it was just not an enjoyable read. Tim O' Brien did an excellent job keeping me engaged in the novel and I just really liked the setup of the little short stories. I have not read a fiction book that was set up that way and it really made it enjoyable to read.

1 comment:

  1. I definately agree that The Things They Carried was a much better read. However, I think the reason you found morals and ideas to take from The Things They Carried rather than The Sun Also Rises is because The Sun Also Rises was more abstract. The plot was supposed to come off as mundane and repetative beacuse that's the way their lives were. Nothing changed because they kept making the same mistakes and never learning from them.

    ReplyDelete