Thursday, September 9, 2010

Difficult to understand

Aside from a few poems, I do not like a majority of the poems introduced this week. For one, I am not a fan of poetry and its non-literal form. I have always had difficult trying to figure out the theme of the poem. For some, I come up with one that I can agree with but for others, I have no idea what they are trying to tell me. For example, the convergence of Twain poem is one that I have reread over and over again but cannot decide if its just simply describing the Titanic disaster or if there is some deeper meaning the speaker is trying to get across. It could be that I am approaching these poems so far from the wrong angle, but so far I am having difficulty understanding these on my own. After group discussions, I understand the poem, but for some of those poems discussed, I could never have come up with that material on my own. I think that I am just going to need some more practice.

1 comment: