Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pink Dog

Pink Dog was a very interesting read for me and I think I understand one of the major points of the poem but I'm not 100 percent sure. The pink dog itself symbolizes, I think, a prostitute. The prostitute is not literally naked, but that is how others see her. They can see what she really is like a dog with no fur (pink dog). However, as the poem continues, the speaker starts to get more vulgar towards the "pink dog" representing how he does not agree with what prostitutes do. It shows that he judges them. Also, I thought the line "Where are your babies?" was a humerous line because he is saying that the prostitute participates in so much sinful sex that she should have a lot of kids by now. Instead, she is using methods so she does not become pregnant and the speaker seems to mock this. In addition, as the poem goes on, it gets harder for me to understand what the speaker is relating the prostiture to.

No comments:

Post a Comment