Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spoiler Alert!

Unfortunately, someone had already told me about Jake's wound before I had read the part the talked about it with Brett. Because of this, I will never know if I would have figured it out on my own. However, the reason that it would be difficult to realize about Jake's wound is becuase the author uses indirect characterization. Never once does the author directly describe Jake's wound. Instead, he gives little hints and clues about the incident. For example, on page 38, he is undressed looking in the mirror and thinks about how "of all the ways to be wounded. I suppose it was funny." The author will never say much more than this throughout the book. I am not certain what the reason is for this but it certainly does challenge the reader. However, this seems to be what Jake's conflict will revolve around. He is in love with Brett and she loves him too, but so far it appears that she will never permanently be with him because of his wound.

1 comment:

  1. if you look at some of the other blogs, there are some that still haven't caught what his injury is.

    ReplyDelete