Thursday, April 21, 2011

From good to evil

"I will revenge my injuries: if I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear, and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred." (pg. 104)

This quote represents the dynamic character of the creature very well. When the creature was created, it had no sense of emotion or anything. He had to learn that from others around him, and in the novel he learns the good side of humanity and how to be compassionate from the cottagers. However, when he is then exposed to the rejection and the anger of humanity, he learns this as well and very quickly changes into an evil creature. This change is emphasized even more when Victor refuses to create a female for the creature causing the creature to seek even greater revenge because he knows he will only ever be rejected. This change in character emphasizes the evil and intolerance of humanity. Through a change of a dynamic character, the author is capable of showing us how evil humanity is instead of just telling the reader. This method has a greater impact on the reader and the theme of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment