Thursday, April 21, 2011

We finally know!

"I exchanged my land-sledge for one fashioned for the inequalities of the Frozen Ocean..." (pg. 153)

This is the point in the story where he finally gets to the present where he had just bought the dog-sled so he could further pursue the creature. After 2 frame-stories, and journies lasting for years, we finally have an understanding of how Victor came to be in the middle of the ocean. When I came to this part, I realized how effective the foreshadowing was in the beginning of the novel. In the pages before 153, I kept waiting in anticipation to get to the part with the dog-sleds becuase I was just really curious from the beginning how such a thing would eventually happen. The use of the foreshadow kept me engaged in the novel all the way to the end. Also, not only was it the foreshadowing, but it was simply that I was mainloy reading to figure out how such an obscure even occured. If instead, the author had foreshadowed some uninteresting event, the reader would not have been so engaged as I was in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment